Sunday, March 29, 2009

Free thinking

Once again folks, I have been struck with "writers block". I have started numerous stories, but never got them to a state where I felt they should be published. I just didn't like them. Darn, if I was a writer in a newspaper, I would be toast! I'm like a lot of people, kind of frozen...kinda like "wow" all this crap is going on "bad stuff...really bad stuff". All I want to do is eat snacks and watch "the View". Today, I had to comfort a friend today who felt like she was about to be let go from her job, even though there wasn't any specific event or series of events that would suggest she was going to lose her job. (except the "News" talking about all the jobs that are being lost) People are scared. I do have some friends who are oblivious to all of this negativity, and are living like its 1999. They are truly above the "Debbie Downer" mindset and are not too concerned about anything. We really do seem to have two very different Worlds. Every day I try to convince myself I am not going to be a "part of the mess" Forge ahead and move about without worry. What will worry do for me? Nothing. There is no comfort in worry. Yet some days I can do it, and some days I cant. Friday I spoke to a guy that gave me some advice. He said "Don't embrace pop culture. Don't engage in "the mess", it will only mess you up. You know what? The guy is right. You have to pull back and rethink things and come up with your "own" plan. Too many of us are rolling with the herd... from birth to death, we are manipulated like puppets. Free thinking is real freedom but few of us ever pull it off. I've felt I have been a free thinker, but honestly, my mind and my thoughts are too polluted with the "World" I have been caught up with things which are not important in the big scheme of things. All is not lost, but I have to get real and get imaginative. In the end, I truly need to do my own thing. What about you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the post especially the last part about free thinking. True freedom of thought only comes when you focus on a something outside the "world". If not your a slave to your environment and your own feelings and flesh.

But it's so hard to break away and think freely surround with so much junk. Thanks for the post enjoyed the read.

baroness radon said...

Give up the snacks and "The View." Read a really old book. Listen to some obscure music. Take a class in something you want to learn, but that always seemed impractical. Ignore the TV and the radio for at least a week. Believe me, you'll still be informed, but you'll be free to think.

Red said...

Baroness has a good idea. I started taking up things that interested me but that I had never gotten around to doing just to break the cycle of the mundane. UNplugging helps too. It's easy to get caught up in the "I'm right, you're wrong" blah blah blahness of punditholes. Run away to home.

Unknown said...

My daily escape is news from anyplace but the USA. After 8 yrs of Bush and Cheney (and he is still on the tube) I find the World outside of our daily Government chat chat and problems a bit refreshing. Hey they all have their problems. I also vision Where I want to go for my next visit. Yes a Vacation. Cheers