Friday, February 20, 2009

OSCAR TIME!


The Oscars. I read somewhere that The Oscars is the "Superbowl" for women. You know, I don't get that. I think men...and even straight men like me, really enjoy watching the Oscars. The Oscars IS a must see event for a LOT women AND men. I love it. Love the red carpet. Love the Kodak theater. I love the tension, the show itself. I especially enjoy some of the Oscar hosts. (Billy Crystal is my all time favorite). I promised my wife I would take her one day to see the Oscars in person. (We have been to the Kodak Theater, but not during the show). (And don't bet against me, I've been to some pretty big events...almost a Zelig kind of attendance to big events in my lifetime, but that's another blog for another day). I have had two decent chances to go in the last 15 years, and can count one acquaintance, Tom Whitlock, (who won an Oscar for co-writing the song "Take my breath away") as the only Oscar winner I have met in real life and "hung out with". Tom is a humble, down to earth, great guy. I met him first back in 93'. And not to veer off the subject of Oscars, I met a couple at a dinner last night who are the proud parents of a daughter who won an Emmy. She did the opening visual effects for the TV show "Dexter". They were talking about the care of the Emmy, and just how sharp the wings are on the statue. Cool stuff. But...back to Oscar. I will pull it off and go one Year. Winning an Oscar is a life changing event. If you think about the money and the eternal status that goes along with one of these things, its mind blowing. You can see why anyone in Hollywood, or beyond, would love to be one of the privileged few to give an acceptance speech and go through the roller coaster ride that is Oscar. To put your heart and soul into your work like ALL of the nominees have, and to NOT win, has to be a heart breaker, I dont care what they say. So much "Pop" goes along with winning the Oscar, that just being only a nominee has its rewards. You get the title of "Oscar Nominee"on all of your future work. I wonder if that "Nominee" tag, helps you or hurts these Stars? Is it a continuous reminder of what was missed? OR is it a "tip of the cap" for doing such an outstanding job, that they were in contention. Meryl Streep hasn't won since 1982! 6 Nominations and counting. I wonder what she is thinking. At least she has won. Kate Winslet has never won, and she has been nominated many many times. You gotta think this is her time. But, it may be Anne Hathaway moment. Her Ex Boyfriend however, will be listening to the Oscars on a radio... from Prison. Doh! Back to the show. The Oscars. Have you seen all the movies??? I hate watching the Oscars and being short on seeing all of the nominated movies. Its part of the fun. I haven't seen "MILK" or "The Reader". I will probably get to see "Reader" this weekend.
Ok. Soooooo here is my predictions on who will win, and should win. Best Director - Should win David Fincher for Benjamin Button. Who will win - Danny Boyle "Slumdog Millionaire". I just felt Button, even though it felt like "Forrest Gump" 15 years later, was slightly better than the rags to riches, fairytale like Slumdog.
(Toughest Category of the night because they were all so amazing) Best Actor - Should win - Frank Langella for his role as Nixon in Frost/Nixon. Stunning, simply Stunning. Who will win - Brad Pitt. (Since Forrest won, then so should Ben Button - Is that wrong?) Brad did a great job, and he is joined at the hip to another Oscar winner. Winning would make things around the house easier to deal with, no? Best Actress - Will and Should are the same here. Kate Winslet. I haven't seen the reader, but since didn't get nominated for Revolutionary Road, then wow, she must have killed it in "Reader" Kate was amazing in RR, and she is DUE! Best Supporting Actor - No drumroll for this one. Just think if Heath Ledger DOESN'T win? The worldwide Grown would be off the charts. Michael Shannon in Rev Road was just as creepy as Ledger's Joker...maybe even creepier...and he had no clown makeup. That would be a spooky scene. Its not gonna happen. You know, there is something to be said for giving the award to the "living" nominees. And no disrespect here, but the guy did kill himself. He took himself out of the game. No? Best Supporting Actress Should win - Tariji P Hensen. She was amazing in Benjamin Button. She is my dark horse pick. Who will win? Penelope Cruz??? She was just screaming in Spanish. So Naaaaa I am sticking with Hensen. Best Animated Movie - "Wall-e" Wall-E could have been the first ever Animated Best Picture. It was THAT good.
So who will win Best Picture? Should win I didn't see Milk, but Frost/Nixon was my pick for best Picture (and is not going to win) Will win? - The Upset of the night. Slumdog will lose to... Benjamin Button. Its going be a shocker!!!!
Enjoy the Show!!!

1 comment:

Shelby said...

I was pretty close! I called correctly on Best Director, Actress, Supporting Actress, and supporting Actor. I only blew best Picture, but if you look at the wins "Button" did win its share of awards. Clearly though, it was all slumdog. FUN! And I stand corrected. I have Met Tim Robbins and I hung out with Adrian Brody in Bar in Vancouver BC (This was a year before "The Pianist" and no one knew who he was but me. He had no one to hang out with so he sat at our table the entire night. The funniest moment of the night, 3 women thought I was the famous one, and didnt know who Brody was. You gotta like that!!! So I have met with 3 Oscar winners. Woo Hoo!