Sunday, January 4, 2009

Gran Torino - Best Picture of 2008

Walt (the lead Character in Clint Eastwood's movie "Gran Torino") is a familiar one to me, so my absolute bias for this picture is from its roots . You see, I was born in this kind of neighborhood in Detroit. In my life I have met several "Walt's" and they have had a significant influence on me. Now perhaps nothing that I am saying here will make sense until you see the movie. I for one don't like going into a movie knowing too much about what I am going to see, so I am not going to break the movie down in detail for you. I don't think that would be fair. I will say that you absolutely should see it, and if anyone doesn't like it, (this is only for my super 6 followers on my blog), I will send you your money back. (that's a promise). We are in a tremendous time of change...a real changing of the guard so to speak. Just like when a high pressure system hits a low pressure system, you get a storm. Right now we are in the beginning of an cultural -economic tsunami that may take another 20 years to sort itself out. We are witnessing one of the great changes in time not seen since the 2nd industrial revolution. This movie really isn't about these changes , but you can clearly can see (and so well done) the collision of ideas and beliefs on some individuals in a city block. Walt is as American as apple pie...as American as his Gran Torino...as American as Archie Bunker. See this movie and you might see somebody you know.... or knew. I will do a real review for this come Oscar time.

But officially, this is my pick for best picture...and Clint Eastwood - Best Director.

No comments: