Sunday, January 4, 2009

Turn back the clock to 60's TV











As I looking at Gran Torino, I couldnt help but think about these old TV shows I saw as a kid in Detroit on (I think) channel 51. This channel played all the shows. Monkees, I dream of Jeanie, My Three Sons, and Petticoat Junction... and a local favorite, Sir Graves Ghastley. The dude had the original "Creature Feature" and showed great horror movies on Friday night or was it Saturday night. It was THE BOMB!!!! This guy was doing music videos years before MTV. I ate this stuff up.
If you remember the start of the Monkees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0FUvLfxyp0&NR=1 There is this scene where they moved their feet in unison left and then right. I used to do this with my sister back when we got along. ( I would say we were maybe 6?). Thanks to the magic of U-Tube, you can see ALL of these show intros and go back in memory lane, too. Petticoat Junction?, Man I didn't have a clue what the show was about, but I knew three girls took their dresses off at the start of the show and I always wanted to see more. This may have been one of my very first of many infatuations with girls on film.
















Too bad TV is not the centerpiece of pop culture. Now its the Internet. TV, with an additional 1000 channels, lost its consolidated audience. The consolidated audience moved from the newspaper, to the radio, then to TV, and then in all sorts of directions. The consolidated audience now sprinkled all over the place text, e-mail, and video. The crazy thing is information travels faster now than ever, so we all know about things... we just get our information from different sources. I wonder what will fill this massive TV void with my Daughter when its time for her to go back to memory lane? I guess Dora is big enough that kids will be able to talk about that... or I don't know, American Idol? I don't think its the same, but maybe it is... Maybe it is.

1 comment:

baroness radon said...

I just saw a piece on YAHOO! on the current Top Ten TV shows, and not only had I never seen ANY of them, I had only heard of three of them. Guess I'm out of touch. Spend my TV time with DVDs of The Prisoner, Secret Agent Man and --to be contemporary -- House, M.D. Wish I could see some old Dr. Ben Casey episodes!