Sunday, November 9, 2008

Post Racial America?

Let me say first that as a Political Junkie, I'm having a bit of a hangover from this Election actually being over. Its over! The Good Guy won, but I've noticed in my lingering Euphoria, the Sunday News shows, talking about a Post Racial America. WHAT is THAT? I mean, I am ecstatic we have the first President of Color...I'm walking on AIR! But does this wipe out the Silent Elephant in the great room of our Society? Did we become a colorblind society overnight? No...Not even close. Yes, a Black President is a dream most of thought we would never see... its hopeful, its wonderful, amazing and unbelievable all at the same time. But we cant say we live in a Post Racial America. I will say there are "Pockets" of "PRM" in cities like Seattle (and I can vouch for Seattle), San Francisco, and parts of Manhattan. I've never been to the great State of Vermont, but I'm guessing Vermont is a "Post Racial "State". I also imagine the 6 black people living in Vermont must love it. Children, like my four year old, are "Post Racial", as were all of us until some of us were tainted by society. No one is born disliking people because of race, it has to be taught. It appears we are not teaching our kids to hate these days. So yes, there are pockets of a post racial existence, and we can see "PRM" in our kids. That said, this is NOT the time to become complacent and ignore all the evidence that the Elephant is still in the room...actually several of them. Poverty, Crime, Education (lack thereof), and the broken black family. Clearly, we still have a lot of work left to do. So while we wait to greet our First African American Leader of the Free World on January 20th 2009, lets not mistake this remarkable sign of progress as the beginning of a "Post Racial America". I hope that when we sober up from the hype, we will see our work is far from done, and we can't expect to put everything on our new President, to get us the rest of the way home.

1 comment:

baroness radon said...

Hey UB, Aloha from Honolulu (first home of Obama). There is a post-racial thing here, most everybody is a minority (except possibly the Japanese) and we all are proud of our various heritages, and being on an island, we must do our best to honor each other and get along. Some disagree with that, but it's what you bring to the conversation that makes it happen. It's not perfect, but we think it can be!

Keep the blog going! (You picked the same format as my Yin one).